[isalist] Re: Backup Exec 10 and ISA 2004

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:20:01 -0300

When backing up through a firewall, you have to tell Backup Exec what
ports to use. It defaults to ports in the 10,000 range. That's
changeable, but changing it through the user interface (Tools, Options,
Network) doesn't do it. It takes an act of Congress to get that
information out of Veritas.

What Veritas doesn't tell you is that the media server (the server with
the tape drive) should talk on a different range of ports than the
remote servers you're backing up. While it can still work if you don't,
chances are you'll get a conflict.

The other thing Veritas doesn't tell you is that you need a minimum of
two, and an ideal of four, ports per resource being backed up. So if the
server has four drives and a system registry, which isn't unusual, it
takes a minimum of 10 TCP ports to back it up, and 40 is safer.