Re: Back to back DMZ Exchange and SMTP relay

  • From: "PETER PAPE" <papexpjboi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:50:42 +0000

1. Mail Stuck on the Exchange server could be the result of a SMTP connector not being configured or not being configured correctly. May also want to check that the Exchange server can ping the SMTP relay in the DMZ. You can use TELNET to test connectivity issues.

2. The SMTP in the DMZ does need the ability to query DNS, unless you are routing it to another SMTP server that can perform that function. If the SMTP server needs DNS, then you can use your internal DNS servers or external DNS servers. If you are using external DNS servers, you will need to open TCP port 53. SMTP uses TCP instead of UDP for DNS queries. Good info available at ISAserver.org on how to do this.

From: "Gillian Cook" <gcook@xxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [isalist] Back to back DMZ Exchange and SMTP relay
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:10:30 -0400

http://www.ISAserver.org

I'm working in a lab environment in preparation for a move to a
back-to-back DMZ config.  All is working perfectly including outgoing
web traffic, VPN, Terminal Services published server, OWA published
server - thanks to the ISA Server and Beyond book!  The only issue is
with Exchange and the SMTP mail relay server.

Setup:

Internet------ISA 1-------------------ISA 2---------Internal Network (3
subnets)
                             DMZ                              (Exchange)
                             (SMTP Relay)

The Exchange server is in the internal network on a subnet other than
the ISA 2 server.  The SMTP mail relay is in the DMZ.  The only way I've
been able to get mail flowing both directions (through both ISA's and
from SMTP and Exchange) is to publish the SMTP mail relay server on the
internal network (while keeping it not part of the domain) on the same
subnet as ISA 2 server (SecureNAT).

I would like to get it working correctly with the "real" DMZ config.  I
think I have 2 issues going on with mail flow.  Internal mail going out
to Internet gets "stuck" in the Exchange server.  It doesn't know how to
get to the DMZ server.  And, does the DMZ SMTP mail relay server need to
be able to perform nslookups for domains other than the internal
network?

Any ideas?  I have read the ISA Server and Beyond book but I'm still
having issues.  Thanks to the book all other parts of the B2B DMZ are
working great!  It would have been impossible without it.

TIA,
Gillian