[interfacekit] Re: MimeDatabase

  • From: "Tyler Dauwalder" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:08:55 -0700

> > > I believe it does. Not directly though -- it sends a message to
> > > the
> > > registrar and the "mime updater" does the job, certainly using
> > > BAppFileInfo, which uses BMimeType::SetSupportedTypes(), which in
> > > turn
> > > does the change to the in-memory version of =5F=5Fmime=5Ftable.
> > > The file
> > > is
> > > only written on shutdown and probably now and then whilst running.
> >
> > Like I mentioned, I've tried rebooting, and to no effect. The
> > information shows up in the database, but not =5F=5Fmime=5Ftable...
> > I think
> > have a lazy registrar.
>
> Lazy employees... you should fire it and hire a new one. ;-)

As soon as I can, I will :-)

> > So any way, my vote's for making them public. Like you said though,
> > it's not like it'll be a lot of work to change them one way or the
> > other :-).
>
> That's true only for one direction. Once it has been public in a
> release it can't be changed back to private without breaking source
> compatibility. While I share your opinion in principle, it makes me a
> bit unsure, that I don't know, why Be made them private. I think, they
> must have had a reason.

Fair enough. Let's just wait and see if any such reason presents itself
before the time R1 is nearly ready.

> > Incidentally, I have Get/SetSupportedTypes() implemented but
> > not yet checked in, in case you might find them useful for
> > BAppFileInfo.
>
> Great!

They're included with the latest checkin. They aren't tested, as we
wrote no explicit tests for Get/SetSupportedTypes(), so they come with no
warranty. I'll write up some tests when I get the chance (we ought to
be able to very nearly copy and paste the Get/SetFileExtensions()
tests).

-Tyler