[interfacekit] MimeDatabase

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:30:33 -0700

I just checked in the beginnings of the mime database code. It
currently expects to find the database at ~/config/settings/obos_mime
instead of ~/config/settings/beos_mime (so as not to trash your
database if I do something stupid ;-), so you'll either need to make a
copy yourself or change the string constant in MimeDatabase.cpp to
point somewhere else if you feel like playing around with BMimeType
(though the obos BMimeType tests make a copy if they need to).

I have one question currently. I'm a bit perplexed with
BRoster::_Start/_StopWatching(). I can't figure out what would be
gained by implementing BMimeType::Start/StopWatching() via said BRoster
calls vs. just using _send_to_roster(,,true) to talk to the MimeManager
directly (the latter being the way I've implemented it currently). As
best I can tell, that's what BRoster::_Start/_StopWatching would have
to do eventually anyway, but at the cost of filtering the necessary
information through a somewhat contrived interface designed to be used
by two notably different monitor services (namely
BRoster::Start/StopWatching() and BMimeType::Start/StopWatching), and
with no other apparent gain. Or am I missing something?

-Tyler