[interfacekit] Re: BPropertyInfo completed

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:33:38 CEST (+0200)

> I will be starting work on BDeskbar shortly.  I am a bit concerned
> about testing it though because I expect that it is essentially just
> proxy class that just sends BMessages to the deskbar to do just about
> everything.

Yep, it looks like that. I had a brief look at the Deskbar sources and
BDeskbar seems to send its messages to TBarApp (BarApp.cpp), which
forwards it to TBarWindow (BarWindow.cpp), which in turn invokes
TBarView methods (BarView.cpp) finally calling TReplicantTray methods
(StatusView.cpp).

> I expect that the libopenbeos.so will not be able to send
> BMessages to the BeOS deskbar because of the differences in the
> messaging protocol.

The only difficulties that may arise are how to target the Deskbar
application, as the signature/team BMessenger constructor uses BRoster,
and the Deskbar is of course not registered to our roster. But you can
search for the Deskbar's team and AppLooperPort, make BDeskbar
temporarily a friend of BMessenger and use the private team/port
constructor (preferred = true, token is ignored). The messaging itself
should be compatible with that of BeOS -- currently we're using the
original BMessage anyway.

> Any suggestions on the best ways to test it under
> BeOS?  I expect I will have to test my implementation without any
> other
> OpenBeOS components so I get the Be implementation of BApplication,
> BMessenger etc.

As written above, I see no bigger problems with using the OBOS classes.
Just avoid the public BMessenger constructor.

CU, Ingo