FW: MCB Press Release

  • From: "I Khan" <no1khan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <imran_dist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:52:39 +0100

FW From JIMAS,

Assalaam 'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu.

Innal hamdalillaah was-salaat was-salaam 'alaa rasoolillaah.

THE MUSLIM COUNCIL OF BRITAIN

Press Release

MCB Community Guidelines

to Imams and British Muslim Organisations

The Muslim Council of Britain is contacting mosques

and community leaders in the UK urging a concerted

effort to work for the peace and security of all in

our country.

Please find below the full text of the letter to be

sent today to UK Imams, Ulema, Chairs and Secretaries

of Mosques, Islamic Organisations and Institutions.

[Ends]

Note for Editors:

1.. The Muslim Council of Britain (www.mcb.org.uk)

is the UK's representative Muslim umbrella body with

over 400 affiliated national, regional and local

organisations, mosques, charities and schools.

To: Imams, Ulema, Chairs & Secretaries of Mosques,

Islamic Organisations and Institutions

Dear Respected Colleague

As salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullah

The last few weeks and days have been fraught with

tragedies and dangers. I am sure you are fully aware

of the serious concerns expressed by the Prime

Minister and the Police Authorities about the high

probability of an imminent terrorist outrage in the

UK.

I have no doubt that as a leader in the community you

are already discharging your Islamic duty in helping

to preserve the peace of the nation as well as

protecting the community against falling into any

trap or provocation.

Following the criminal terrorist attack on the Madrid

trains, and despite our immediate, public and

unequivocal condemnation of those atrocities some,

however, continue to associate Islam with terrorism

by using such misleading terms as 'Islamic terrorist'.

The words of the Qur'an are clear:

"He who killed any person, unless it be a person

guilty of manslaughter, or of spreading chaos in

the land, should be looked upon as though he had

slain all mankind, and he who saved one life should

be regarded as though he had saved the lives of all

mankind."(5:32)

We therefore urge you to take the following actions:

1) To provide the correct Islamic guidance to the

community, especially to our youth as to our

obligation to maintain the peace and security of

our country

2) To observe the utmost vigilance against any

mischievous or criminal elements from infiltrating

the community and provoking any unlawful activity

3) To liaise with the local Police and give them

the fullest cooperation in dealing with any criminal

activity including terrorist threat

"Help one another to virtue and God-consciousness

and do not help one other to sin and transgression."

(5:2)

4) To proactively engage with the media in order to

refute any misconception about Islam and the Muslim

community

5) To develop active contacts with other faith

communities and civic organisations in order to help

maintain social peace and good community relations.

6) In the event of any tragic incident taking place,

give the fullest cooperation to the Police and other

concerned authorities.

7) Lastly, but most importantly, seek Allah's help

and support and pray for His guidance and protection

all the time.

We also urge you to convey the above message in your

Friday sermon and bring awareness to our community of

our duties and obligations in combating any threat to

peace and stability. By doing so, insha'Allah it will

help to dispel the misrepresentation.

There is no need however to be daunted or intimidated

by any Islamophobic propaganda and we should continue

with our daily lives - normally and in accordance

with the tenets of Islam.

All of us as Muslims will have been appalled to see

some of the headlines in today's newspapers (for

example 'Islamic Bomb Plot Foiled' - Daily Telegraph;

'The Truck Bombers of Suburbia', The Times 2004).

This kind of sensationalised reporting has done

immense damage to British Muslims as well as to

community relations and we assure you that the

MCB's Media Committee will be taking this matter

up urgently with the editors concerned.

You will no doubt recall that in November 2002

the police made high-profile arrests of six

Muslims accused of plotting to release cyanide

gas into London's Underground system. Yet nearly

18 months later, none of the men have been charged

with any crime, let alone being convicted of

terrorist activity. There are other examples of

incidents that have received prominent media

attention only for the individuals to be

subsequently released without any charges brought

against them.  The impact of such ordeals on the

persons concerned and their families is unbearable.

Therefore we urge against hasty pronouncements of

guilt.

The Muslim Council of Britain is planning to

organise a number of events and meetings of

which we shall keep you duly informed.

"O believers, be patient and let your patience

never be exhausted. Stand firm in your faith

and fear Allah, so that you may triumph." (3:200)

May Allah protect and guide us.

Yours sincerely

Iqbal AKM Sacranie

Secretary General

The Muslim Council of Britain

Wassalaam 'alaikum wa rahmatullaah.

--

"Take benefit of five before five: your youth before

your old age, your health before your sickness, your

wealth before your poverty, your free-time before your

preoccupation, and your life before your death."

[Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam - al-Haakim,

al-Baihaqee: Saheeh]

JIMAS

PO Box 24, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3 8ED, UK

Tel/Fax: 01473 251578

http://www.jimas.org

http://www.islaam.com