[ilssa] Call for Women Book Artists

  • From: amy elizabeth brock-reed <anotherbrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:05:38 -0500

Impractical Laborers,

I’m a graduate student at the University of Alabama finishing up my
Master’s degrees in both the Book Arts and also in Women’s Studies.
I’m also the proprietor of Local 205 Shop SSP.

As a woman book artist I am interested in the economics of the field,
how women book artists view their art in relation to making a living,
and how (or if) being a woman affects the content of their work. My
Master’s thesis for Women’s Studies consists of a case study of women
book artists in ILSSA, a literature review, and a review of current
work by women book artists. I am specifically interested in the
members of Impractical Labor in Service of the Speculative Arts
because of their unique perspectives on craft and labor and will be
interviewing members about their participation in ILSSA, as well as
about their personal work, and their view of the economy of art.

I have received permission to conduct this study from the
Institutional Review Board, and have attached a copy of my protocol,
including the interview questions and consent form. If you would like
to participate in this study read the attached document and send me an
e-mail or give me a call at your earliest convenience. If the
interviewee lives in a state other than Alabama interviews can take
place using Skype. The interviews in Alabama will take place at a
location convenient for the interviewee (i.e. coffee shop, library,
etc.).

My phone number is (205) 305-8483
And my e-mail address is: ambrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Feel free to ask e-mail or call if you have any questions related to the study.

Best regards,

Amy

--
Amy Brock-Reed