[PCB_FORUM] Re: BGA Fanout / Filled vias

  • From: <george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:42:18 -0800

Mark:

We typically do a secondary soldermask "via cap" on fine pitch BGA vias
so there is NO copper showing on the via.  The secondary soldermasking
operation typically will not have as much "slump" and does not run as
far into the via holes as a single soldermask that is tenting the vias.

Your mileage may vary, as others have said check with your board fab and
assembler to verify what they really want.

--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.

"Off-Grid and Proud of it!"