[PCB_FORUM] Re: BGA Fanout / Filled vias

  • From: "Gerry Meier" <gerry.meier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:14:58 -0800

Mark,

I would  definitely ask my CM. If he says yes then I would do a via plug
and the entire via would be covered with mask. I don't know how much
soldermask dam you have if it's at least 5 mils you may be OK. Be sure
to specify your via encroahment and or plugging etc in your pcb notes or
requirement doc to your fabricator.

One other thing if your pad is 18 mil dia and your soldermask opening is
14 mil dia you only have a 2 mil encroachment. The requirement I have is
for a min of 3 mil encroachment. In my scenario a min soldermask opening
diameter would be 12 mil dia. So also check if the 2 mil is OK

regards,
Gerry

Gerry Meier

Sr. PCB Designer