[icon-discuss] recorder overload glitch

  • From: Joe Giovanelli <joegio1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:48:42 -0400

Hello Listers,

I just made an important discovery while making a recording of a choral group
this
morning.  I preset the recording level to 25 which should take of overloads in
most cases.

I used the Olympus mike for lack of time to use my best stuff.

During the recording someone happened to wave a piece of paper near me and I
got a hint
of overload.  Even the loudest singing did not produce any over-level.

At the end of the concert the chorus surrounded the audience rather than
standing 6 front of us.  Loud
singing really over-loaded the system to the point that, even when the sound
level dropped way
down, the vibrator kept running at high speed.  I had to pause the recording to
stop it.

There were a couple more of such occurrences of this.

I hope the programmers will take note of this and fix the problem soon.

Meanwhile, try to be as conservative with recording level as you can.  Even
with that, expect
the unexpected.

Joe G.