[icon-discuss] Re: Music Player

  • From: Kevin Jones <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:21:51 -0500

I think Jay is saying -- how can we group books by author if not directly from bookshare?

Jay Pellis wrote:
Hello all-
Here is a message I wrote last night with my thoughts on this issue, thought I'd post it here.
Hi all-

I noticed that people have been having problems getting proper tagged mp3s as well as non bookshare books on the icon/braille plus. When I purchased the plus model, I was really hoping for an option in either program where you could browse by folder. For example, I have a huge book collection of books as txt files, listed by author in a folder txt books. Would it be possible to add sort of a browse option in the bookshelf so you can browse to a folder on media such as the hd, flash or mini sd and choose your folder such as my books backslash King Stephen and then choose your book like the Stand.txt?. Perhaps the browse option could remember where you last were both in the file like the bookshelf usualy does as well as the last place you were in the browse dialog. I was adding my books manually by adding title/author information to each one but I think it would just take way too long to do so. Perhaps the same option could be in the music player, then you can have music on for example a large capacity USB drive or just any folder on the hard drive. Once you reach the folder such as dave matthews band, then a folder with an album name under that, you'll find the tracks of the album and perhaps you can use the play all option to play the entire album. Or maybe the play all option can be at the top of each list so if you're in your dave matthews band folder and it has multiple albums, then by clicking play all, it will sort the files and play folder after folder continuously. This would be an excellent option for audio books too since then play lists might not be needed but they can still be used if someone wanted to use them. The folder list could be just like how you would browse folders in file explorer.

Anyone else have any feedback about this? Now I don't mean to critisize the icon because it is a great device and with a few other added features, it could be the ultimate blind related PDA. I just thought of the browse option because of the many posts I read about tagging mp3s etc. I know many of mine were taken from cds and since I knew what the cds were, I just made a folder and put the tracks in it as audio track01 etc. Also, some mp3 albums that I knew were tagged still weren't recognized on the icon.

I'm also wondering about some other features that might be able to be implemented. For games, maybe one of those text adventure interpreters could be added with out a lot of trouble. Also, a friend of mine is using a messenger client on linux, I'm not sure what it was called but she mentioned she can use aol, msn and some other messenger services with it.

Also, I tried a western digital USB powered passport 160gb hard drive and it didn't seem to work. The drive would start to turn on and then abruptly turn off again. Might the docking station perhaps have enough power to run something like that?

Speaking of the docking station which sounds great by the way, perhaps an option to offer customers if it can be done that is is to offer a station with a braille display built on to it and one with out so the user can choose which they might want. Perhaps that may work better then adding support for USB/blue tooth displays because then you'd have a display and the larger braille/qwerty keyboard all in one device.

I'm sure someone has already thought of that but just thought I'd put my 2 cents out there.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Regards

Jay Pellis

Jay Pellis

E-mail: jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Aol instant messenger: ftealucard

Yahoo messenger: ftealucard

Msn messenger, jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Skype: ftealucard

Give a listen to my video game music radio show at

_http://www.blindjay.libsyn.com/_