[icon-discuss] More E-Mail Woes

  • From: "Desi Noller" <desiandcandy@xxxxx>
  • To: "Icon" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:29:27 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Please understand before I begin this that I am no techno whiz!  When I got my
Braille Plus a week ago, one of the first things I tried to do was set up my
e-mail account.  I was sooo careful!  And, after trying switching settings in a
number of different layouts, I called Michael Jones at LevelStar.  As soon as
he heard the kind of pop3 address I had, he was immediately able to tell me
that the Icon and Braille Plus don't support that kind of account.  The account
is under Qwest, but the pop3 server is pop3.live.com, which I think is some
sort of MSN account.  Anyway, he suggested that I set up a g-mail account.  I
went online and did that this afternoon.  I decided that I would have gmail
deliver my messages directly to Outlook on my PC, so that I could check mail
either on my PC or my Braille Plus depending upon where I was when I wanted to
check my mail.  I could not get that to work either, so now I'm stumped!  I put
in all of the protocols that gmail prescribed in setting up my Outlook account,
but I still get the message that neither outgoing or incoming pop servers can
be found!  So now I'm wondering if this is because of the configuration of my
router?  I'm now considering looking into getting a different type of account
on my PC, one that might work with the Braille Plus as well so that I don't
have to have two separate e-mail addresses.  If this explanation  triggers an
aha experience in anyone, and you have any further thoughts for me about a good
way to do this, I would be most grateful!  Thanks in advance for any help!

Desi