[icon-discuss] Re: GPS on the ICON? And other questions

  • From: Robert Carter <r-carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:27:55 -0500

Hi Rich,

I love the Braille Plus but your message caused me to pause and think. I think
the lines have been
blurred between business and pleasure in this time of abundant information.

I see my unit as being very integrated into both my personal and professional
life. I download
newspapers and books. Some of them are purely for pleasure but some have to do
with my work. I frequently
find psychology related articles in the New York Times. I use the device to
handle email and
keep appointments. Again, some for pleasure and some work related.

My point is that information access is not just about business or pleasure but
it is about having access to all
that one can assimilate into their awareness to be utilized in both arenas.

I think the Icon and Braille Plus are a little ahead of their time. We are
seeing the same kind of
blending of business and pleasure with the Knfb Reader being built into a cell
phone and the GW Micro
note takers with their radios and media rendering capabilities.

Even the conservative state of Texas as acknowledged that employees use their
computers for both
business and pleasure while at work. The old paradigms just don't fit any more.

I frequently put word documents on my Braille Plus and refer to them in
meetings while others work
with the printed copy. I take notes on the unit and sometimes use the recorder
to capture what is being
presented to me in a professional workshop.

I would love to see folks who are in the position of making access technology
recommendations take
a look at the Icon and Braille Plus from a broadened rather than a narrowed
perspective. I think the
rehab system is struggling to catch up but it must if people are going to have
the opportunity to play on the more
level playing field of accessible information.

I am now off of my soap box.

Robert Carter