[ibis] Re: Flexibility of a specification

  • From: Ed Sayre <esayre@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 02:00:42 +0000

Arpad and fellow IBIS workers:

I agree with your comments about future developments. However, I have a couple
of pertinent questions for you and other IBIS pioneers:

1. How do we use what we have to evaluate channel and driver/receiver
designs when there is so little in the use of user guides?

2. How do we deal with models that don't run at all or models that run on
one simulation engine but not another?

3. Can we define the qualifications of model makers since it seems the
quality of the model depends heavily on the experience of the model maker and
what they know about how devices actuall work?

4. How do we deal with models that run alone but not with another model,
i.e., interoperability?

I find these questions not addressed in any of the the IBIS documents.

As an alternate, the COM tool and Stat-eye, which are MatLab based tools, seem
to have certain limitations as well when the Tx and Rx analog behavior behavior
are included in the simulation. Do you see that semiconductor manufacturers
are going to provide MatLab based behavioral models?

ed