[ibis] Re: Flexibility of a specification

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 22:09:19 -0400 (EDT)

Arpad,

First, there are very flexible modeling languages out there (e.g. MatLab, C
numerical run time libraries). The point is, whatever language you use to
model an I/O buffer, you still need to define the interface to the model,
what are its input and what are its outputs. AMI is not a modeling language,
it simply defines the inputs and the outputs of a model.

Legacy IBIS is a spec for describing the current at a pad vs the voltage at
the pad and the voltages applied to the rails as a bunch of IV and VT
tables. External model is a spec for describing the ports of I/O buffer
models written in Berkley SPICE, IBIS-ISS, Verilog, VHDL. AMI is a spec
describing the inputs and outputs of DLLs that represent the amplitude
driving a linear amplifier in a Tx (Output) and the processing that an Rx
buffer does to convert the waveform at its input to a signal that can be
sampled at a latch.

So the question is not what language the user want to program the buffer
model, but what are the inputs and the outputs of a buffer model.

As soon as we have a new kind of model that has hologram inputs and outputs,
Kumar and I will argue about how they get transformed when they get beamed
up to the IBIS Starship.

Walter