[ibis-macro] Re: [ibis-interconn] Re: Fundemental Problems with Externam Models and IBIS-ISS

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'IBIS-Interconnect'" <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:35:52 -0500 (EST)

All,

I would like to respond in the two applications of IBIS models,
SerDes/AMI, and normal Buffer Models.

Normal Tx Buffer models do require a Stimulus which have transition
events, and therefore need a D_to_A converter to satisfy the internal
requirements of the [External Model] internal threshold levels to
determine the transition times. Normal Rx Buffer models did not require a
A-to_D converter, since the IBIS Model did have receiver threshold levels.
So in retrospect [External Model] did require a D_to_A converter, the Rx
A_to_D converter was superfluous. IBIS-ISS has no threshold sensing
capability and everything else required to handle non-linear IV curves and
anything other than a VT stimulus that is linear between a low and high
stimulus voltage level.

SerDes/AMI Tx and Rx buffer models implicitly require that the buffer is
LTI, and therefore the static Tx pullup and pulldown IV curves be linear.
The shape of the VT curve is academic since this has only high frequency
content which is quickly filtered out in any realistic channel. The static
Rx clamp curves must also be linear to satisfy being LTI. Arpad pointed
out quite correctly that the "Equivalent Circuit" Tx and Rx buffer models
described in BIRD 122 can represent exactly any IBIS legacy model with
linear IV curves.

ALL IC vendor internal tools represent the analog Tx and Rx buffer as
either a Equivalent Circuit described in BIRD 122 or an s4p Touchstone
file described in BIRD 122. In these tools the time domain waveforms are
generated by applying the waveform generated by the Tx digital signal
processing directly to an analog channel that includes the one of theTx
buffer analog models described in BIRD 122 and one of the Rx buffer analog
models described in BIRD 122  . In AMI terms, this waveform is the output
of the Tx AMI_Getwave convolved with the channel impulse response. In
SPICE simulation, the channel is represented as a series of concatenated
IBIS-ISS subckts and the simulation is a simple SPICE time domain
simulation with a differential stimulus being simply the output of Tx
AMI_Getwave. The simple Equivalent Circuit buffer models described in BIRD
122 are sufficiently accurate for SerDes buffers at data rates <~6Gbps. At
data rates >6Gbps they are not sufficiently accurate, and IC Vendors
therefore use Touchstone s4p models.

What do we need today and what do we need tomorrow for the next generation
of AMI modeling?

Today we absolutely need the ability to specify a Touchstone file for both
Tx and Rx AMI models. I believe all EDA vendors support his in their
tools, all we need is a clear method to define in an IBIS/AMI file the
name of the s4p and its required termination characteristics. We probably
do not absolutely need the Equivalent Circuits defined in BIRD 122. I
point out that it is not uncommon for a Tx buffer to have a large number
(~128) strength settings, with each strength setting having a different
impedance. If IBIS supported these Equivalent Circuits and Dependency
Tables only one [Model] and one AMI file is required. SiSoft builds such
models that only work in our tool. We also supply an IBIS file with a
Model Selector that contains 128 models and 128 .ami files to make these
models portable and work on all of the other EDA Vendor tools. Technically
these two alternative IBIS models are the same, but both IC Vendors and
Users of AMI models much prefer the Equivalent Circuit and Dependency
table method.

"Tomorrow" we will need to support PAM4. For PAM4 the "stimulus" has 4
levels (-.5,-.1333,.1333,.5). Tx and Rx DLLs are internally is more
complicated, but the interface and flows remain the same. The analog
buffer remains either an Equivalent Circuit or an s4p Touchstone file.
There may be additional Rx reserved parameters to do the appropriate PAM4
waveform analysis. Implementing PAM4 using BIRD 122 just falls out,
implementing in [External Model] is problematic because of the multi-level
signaling.

BIRD 122 defines reserved AMI parameters such as Tstonefile for Tx and  Rx
s4p Touchstone File, and Rs and Cc for Tx IBIS-ISS Equivalent Circuit and
Rt and Cc for Rx IBIS-ISS Equivalent Circuit. With this approach there is
no need for the added complexity of delivering IBIS-ISS subckt files with
the IBIS model. I think we need to revisit the decision IBIS-ATM made that
analog models must be in the IBIS file.

Walter