[ibis-macro] What happens when Init_Returns_Impulse = False?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:00:29 -0700

I would like to get some ideas from the authors
of the AMI specification on what the intent was
when Init_Returns_Impulse = False.

I would also like to get some suggestions on what
the Init function should return when
Init_Returns_Impulse = False.

- return the same thing that was sent into Init
- return impulse response of the filter
- return uninitialized memory (garbage or noise)

It seems that either the first or second answer
may be the correct one if I consider that the
calculations are supposed to be done "in place",
i.e. in the same memory space where the input
was placed.  If nothing is done, the memory will
still contain the input data in that place.  If
something is done, like returning the filter only
impulse response, we will get that in that memory
space.  It is hard to turn that memory space into
uninitialized memory, unless we use a random number
generator to do something that can mimic that effect.