[ibis-macro] Re: Unanswered question from last week.

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Banas" <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

David,

Suppose a user sets up a simulation with Tx tap coefficients -.15,.85,0.
for taps -1, 0 and 1 respectively.

And then suppose the Tx AMI_Init function changed the tap settings to
-.2,.75,-.05. There is no requirement in the spec that the Tap parameter
be an InOut, so if it was an In, how does the user know that the tap
coefficients have changed? And if they have changed, what have they
changed to? How does the user know how to program his BIOS to optimize the
operation of the channel?

Even if the Tap was InOut, and it reported to the user what the change was
the user is going to get a performance result using -.2,.75,-.05. which
will give him a more open eye at the input to the Rx but a worse eye at
the output of the Rx.

Your response, very importantly, included the following "and if the user
has opted to NOT use the Tx model 'co-opt' mode, but rather to use some
'auto' feature of the Tx model". So you are saying that the Tx model NEEDS
a 'auto feature that can be turned on and off. This is exactly what I said
when I said for Redriver Tx and for Tx involved in co-optimization. I
suggested a reserved parameter to turn the Tx self-optimization on and
off. So we either force the user to read the Tx Model users guide to
figure this out, or use a reserved parameter. In any case I believe the
user should control this, and not leave it solely up to the Tx model to
make this decision as you suggested in your question.

Walter