[ibis-macro] Re: On impulse and step responses.

  • From: David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx" <fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:04:08 -0700

Hi Fangyi,

Thanks for the reply.
Please, see below.

Thanks,
-db

From: fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:18 AM
To: David Banas; ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: On impulse and step responses.

David;

Step response has an unit of volt. Impulse response, which is the derivative of
step response by definition, has an unit of volt/sec.
[David Banas] If this discussion pertained to the continuous time domain, I
would agree with you, but it doesn't. This discussion pertains to the discrete
time domain. (It has to, since we're sending in a discrete set of samples,
taken at a uniform sampling interval, to Init().) And, in that domain, both
quantities must have the same unit, since we require:
[cid:image003.png@01CE7182.F35D0590]

where {uk} is the "unit step response sequence" and {hi} the "unit pulse
response sequence" of the LSI discrete time system being discussed, and I have
taken the liberty of assuming we're only interested in describing causal
systems. In our particular application, the most reasonable unit for these two
sequences seems to be "Volt", which is why I'm very perplexed as to why several
of us seem to feel that "Volts/sec." is the proper unit to be sending into
Init(). Does our current spec. call out the exact units to be used?

Also, please keep in mind that the Dirac delta function has an unit of 1/sec.

Regards,
Fangyi