[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 8 July 2008 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: <rrwolff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:52:03 -0600

Minutes from the 8 July 2008 ibis-atm meeting are attached, ARs:

AR: Walter will propose a question for Arpad to distribute to the
reflector
    to start discussion before the next meeting.

Randy Wolff
IBIS Macromodel Task Group

Meeting date: 8 July 2008

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
  Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Fangyi Rao, ???
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, Agilent
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
  Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
* Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
* Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
  Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
  Zhen Mu, Cadence Design Systems

-----
Opens:

- Randy Wolff agreed to take minutes in Mike LaBonte's absence.

- Bob Ross asked to make a statement before the main discussion started.

- No one declared a patent.

- Walter: Update example with "Views"
          - done

- Bob: Give us a Spice netlist example of your choice

     - Bob responded by email with a partial response. He does not plan to
       fully replicate what Walter has shown.  Considers this task complete.

- David Banas report Xilinx position on LTI assumption for SerDes
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          - [External ...] also?
          - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

Continue discussion on the standard netlisting and modeling format
   - what should be the language of the standard netlist language?
   - what should be the language of the standard modeling language?
   - what "elements" should be included in the standard modeling
     language?
   - how are we going to solicit "buy-in" from EDA vendors to support
     the new elements of the standard?

- Bob began opening remarks.
  - Has had private discussions with Walter and Scott McMorrow.
  - Must ask fundamental question of Should we continue with EMD?
  - We don't have a common vision of the whole project.
  - For the language, the scope of views is undefined.
  - Agenda items are very specific assuming we have a common vision, but we
    should answer the question first of resources, time schedule, and if this
    project fits in with IBIS.
  - Fully supports the EMD concept, but doesn't think it will work as
    presented.  Thinks it should be limited to hooking up nodes for
    interconnect and maybe labeling some power/ground nodes.

- Arpad: What if we started from scratch completely and answer the question
  of what the industry needs.  What is the benefit to having a universal
  netlisting language?

- Bob: Just write a reference document for an interconnect language bringing
  in any modules we want.
  - Thinks it is too big of a problem to write a translator.
  - Gave example: Top level is input/output.  Module 1 has only one view.
    Module 2 has multiple views.  Modules contain only comments.
  - This is a document, not a standard.

- Michael M: In order to support customers, must demonstrate that products work.
  - For instance giving out topologies.  Some customers demand full netlists
    for specific vendor tools. Would be very useful if we could hand out a
    complete system netlist that could be run in whatever tool the customer
    is using.

- Walter: presented a document.
  - Went through Berkeley Spice manual and found all the elements we commonly
    use in interconnect netlists.
  - Showed 4 options for the format of EMD interconnect models.
  - Concluded that defining a specific language would be too difficult, so
    proposed a "Free Form" option.
  - "Free Form" specifies the name of the file and subcircuit and the
    "Sub-language" that the subcircuit is written in.  The Sub-language must
    be documented with the "Spice" elements it uses.
  - He showed a simple netlist for a cable that included multiple views.
  - Bob: Walter's example follows what he wanted to see.
  - Arpad: this is basically a netlist to hook together top level subcircuits.
    - How would this guarantee compatibility between simulators?
    - Walter: It wouldn't.
  - Michael M: Doesn't think the proposal is useful unless it provides a
    common netlist language.
  - Bob: doesn't think it is a goal that the contents be interchangeable.

- Arpad: What does each view represent in Walter's example?
  - Walter: Each view contains the entire circuit, but one view may have a
    fully coupled model and one may be an uncoupled model.

- Walter: What are we trying to solve?  We started with trying to describe
packages.
  - Bob: We can do it all with another solution.
  - Michael M: We are answering Arpad's question.  Netlists aren't the issues.
    We need a way to describe a package with elements that are spice-like.

- Arpad: Why do we need a netlisting standard?  These capabilities exist in
  many formats like Spice and AMS.  The only thing we don't have is a pin
  list and AMS has this.
  - Walter: I don't understand what this all means.
  - Michael M: There is a difference between describing how every component
    connects together and describing its electrical behavior.  Spice is good
    at doing both.  We need a system level netlist connecting A to B to C
    without getting into the discussion of what is in the lower level.
  - Walter: If I have a package I can describe everything with one S-parameter
    file.  I only care about the node connections.
  - Michael M: Spice does both things.  I want to exchange top level
    information - How each one of the components is internally described is
    a separate discussion.

- Todd: We won't get consensus on what is inside the block.  The value of IBIS
  is in describing what various pins do.

- Walter: Every subcircuit only hooks up pins that are available externally.

- John: The key contribution of the proposal is the alternative views.
  - Bob: Contribution is common pin interface to views in multiple languages.

- Michael M: Concerned with the need for virtual pins that are not physical
  pins, for measurement of differential signals for instance.

- Arpad: Concerned with hooking together an entire system and having views
  of one part of the system in spice and views of another part in VHDL.  How
  is this supported?
  - Walter: Model creators must be encouraged to support subsets of languages
    that will be supported by multiple EDA vendors.

- Michael M: What is the topic of discussion next week?
  - Bob: We need to continue this general discussion.

- Bob: To answer Arpad's original questions:
  Modeling language: all options are open
  Interconnect language: not defined yet
  What elements should be included: we don't define any elements

- Arpad: What are the open questions for next week?
  - Walter: What functionality do we need in this solution at the top level?
    Do we need to write this spec? If yes, work through the details.

- Arpad: Who is the best person to answer these questions?  Isn't the question
  more appropriate for the model makers - is this useful?
  - Walter: We need buy-in from everybody.

AR: Walter will propose a question for Arpad to distribute to the reflector
    to start discussion before the next meeting.

Next meeting: 15 July 2008 12:00pm PT