[ibis-macro] Re: EMD Question

  • From: <rrwolff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:10:32 -0600

Arpad,

Here are answers to your poll and can be considered Micron's current
opinion on EMD.

We struggle with modeling of packages and memory DIMMs using the current
IBIS specification.  EBD does not provide a very useful model when it
comes to DDR3 technology and beyond.  We end up providing some customers
with SPICE formatted netlists for specific signals on our memory
modules, but this model format is difficult to create, support, and use.
When modeling multi-die packages, the EBD format still has limited
support and is not adequate for modeling loss characteristics.  The IBIS
package model options for modeling single-die packages are woefully
inadequate as well.

I liked the idea of developing a standard set of accepted SPICE-like
elements for EMD, but I place more importance on getting a modeling
standard developed quickly.  I'm sure accepted standards will quickly
develop based on individual EDA company support, but I would like to see
some emphasis placed on getting most of the EDA companies to agree on
some acceptable formats.

Thanks,
Randy

1)  Do you want IBIS-ATM to pursue this interconnect
    modeling methodology?

Yes.

2)  Do you need this type of package, cable and connector
    interconnect model?

Yes.

3)  What do you dislike about this EMD?

I am currently concerned with not knowing what languages will be
supported by EDA vendors.  I would eventually like to see   some
official responses from EDA companies as to what languages will be
supported.

4)  What do you need added to EMD?

The concept of "views" is not mentioned in the summary below, but I
think this is a very important component of EMD.  Like [Model Selector]
for component models, "views" would be very useful for supplying
multiple formats of models with varying levels of complexity, all within
the same EMD wrapper.

5)  Would you deliver models for packages and connectors in
    this format?

I would specifically like to deliver models of packages and memory DIMMs
in this format.

6)  Would you use models for packages and connectors in this
    format?

Yes, assuming my EDA software fully supports it.