[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 8 Dec 2009 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: <rrwolff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:12:43 -0700

Minutes from the December 8, 2009 IBIS ATM meeting are attached.

Randy

IBIS Macromodel Task Group

Meeting date: 12 December 2009

Members (asterisk for those attending):
  Adge Hawes, IBM
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
  Anders Ekholm, Ericsson
* Arpad Muranyi, Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Brad Brim, Sigrity
  Brad Griffin, Cadence Design Systems
  Chris Herrick, Ansoft
  Chris McGrath, Synopsys
* Danil Kirsanov, Ansoft
  David Banas, Xilinx
  Deepak Ramaswany, Ansoft
  Donald Telian, consultant
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
* Eckhard Lenski, Nokia-Siemens Networks
  Eckhard Miersch, Sigrity
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
* Fangyi Rao, Agilent
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
  Gang Kang, Sigrity
  Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
  Ian Dodd, consultant
  Jerry Chuang, Xilinx
  Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
  Kumar Keshavan, Sigrity
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco Systems
  Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
  Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
  Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
* Mustansir Fanaswalla, Xilinx
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
  Pavani Jella, TI
  Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Komow, Cadence Design Systems
  Richard Mellitz, Intel
  Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Samuel Mertens, Ansoft
  Sam Chitwood, Sigrity
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence Design Systems
  Sid Singh, Extreme Networks
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Steve Kaufer, Mentor Graphics
  Steve Pytel, Ansoft
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
  Ted Mido, Synopsys
  Terry Jernberg, Cadence Design Systems
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov, Mentor Graphics
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
* Walter Katz, SiSoft
* Zhen Mu, Mentor Graphics

- None

- No one declared a patent.

- Arpad: Send out list of questions from the last meeting.
  - Done

- Arpad: Write a clarification BIRD to discuss accuracy issues related to the
  various AMI clock_tick algorithms in an IBIS-AMI DLL
  - TBD

- Todd: Update the BIRD for IBIS S-parameter box based on feedback from
discussion
  - No update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - TBD

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          - [External ...] also?
          - TBD

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - Deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

1) Discussion of questions from the last meeting and Walter's response.

Fangyi: typo on document, page 4. Related to 'allowed value'.
Walter: let's discuss later.

Walter showed his responses to the 9 questions emailed on the reflector.

1. Walter: defined the Rx_Clock_Recovery_Mean. It replaces Rx_Clock_PDF.  Many
   models specify clock distribution with parameters dependent on process
corner.
   This effect needed to be described better. Along with Rx_Clock_Recovery_Rj,
it
   describes a normal distribution (mean and sigma) of the clock recovery
circuit.

   Fangyi: sees people ask for other distributions besides gaussian.
    - Walter: these new values can be returned by the model.  What are the
other
      distributions?
    - Fangyi: Rx DCD that can be appproximated by a dual-dirac.
    - Walter: we should create other reserved parameters for this.

   Bob: does this break anything?
    - Walter: we don't know of any models using the Rx_Clock_PDF.
    - Arpad: we should ask over the email reflector if we want to know of
anyone
      using the Rx_Clock_PDF parameter.

2/3. Walter: we have a problem if parameters are put in Model_Specific if they
     later are changed in the spec to be Reserved_Parameters.  It would be
     better to get rid of the labeling.
       - Bob: might have been some benefits to this structure. Might be a way
         keep backwards compatibility.

4. Walter: the Description keyword can be optional throughout.

5. Walter: wants to ignore Format, not drop it. Format violates the basic
principle
   of parameter trees.
    - Fangyi pointed Walter to page 4 again.
    - Walter added 'Allowed Values: (Required) and has to be one of the
following:"
      as a description of what is replacing Format.
    - Bob did not think that Format should be dropped. This is a fundamental
      architecture issue.  This will be brought up later for more discussion
and
      possible vote.

6. Walter: would like to deprecate Tx_Jitter and replace with Tx_Dj and Tx_Rj.
    - Fangyi mentioned that there should also be other jitter distributions
added.

7. Walter: if IC vendor handles jitter in Tx model without GetWave, then you
let
   Tx_Init take care of it.

8. Walter: clarified that a list is a list of things of 'Type'.

9. Walter: a list no longer contains typ. For a list, the default value is the
   first value if a default is not specified.

2) Discuss Walter's AMI BIRD Draft
Walter: we need to get answers to fundamental questions of Format, Tx_Jitter,
etc.
Can we really get rid of these or not?  No point in working on the draft until
these are decided.

Ambrish: will be be getting rid of tables?
  - Walter: yes if we get rid of the parameters using tables.
  - Ambrish: why not add new distributions to Tx_Jitter?
  - Walter: no means of adding corner to Tx_Jitter.

Arpad to Bob: how do you propose getting answers to these questions?
 - Bob: any time something is deleted, he wants to know why and what other
   options there are.
 - Arpad: would like to see a clean spec, but how do we find out if something we
   remove is actually needed?
 - Bob: it is a fundamental shift in IBIS to remove anything from the spec,
   versus just noting that things are not desired.
 - Walter: asked Arpad to put this info into an email to the reflector
explaining
   that we will discuss these important topics in the next meeting.
 - Arpad: asked Walter to send him a private email clarifying two questions to
be
   posted on the reflector.
 - Walter: will send to Arpad and Bob to refine before posting.

3) Discuss final flow in text form (Section 2 of the AMI BIRD draft)
No discussion.

AR: Arpad to write email to reflector noting these two questions to discuss and
    vote on next meeting.
    1. Do we deprecate or require Reserved_Parameters and Model_Specific
descriptions?
    2. Do we make Format optional?

Next meeting: 15 Dec 2009 12:00pm PT

--------