[ibis-macro] Re: Eye mask question

  • From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 16:52:11 -0500

Okay, that's what I was after ... an eye derived from the combination of the waveform and clock ticks returned by RX_Getwave.

I'm going to echo what Mike Steinberger said ... when you apply an eye mask to a problem, you need to be clear about what assumptions went into the mask, and what it's supposed to be compared to.  For example, I would expect a PCIe Gen 1 RX mask to specify the required eye opening at the RX pin.  One would determine compliance by plotting the RX pin eye contour at the target probability level and seeing if the mask fit inside of it (in this case, anywhere).  My point is: clock recovery and data noise are built into the mask in this case, and simulation of the clock recovery behavior isn't actually required.

In the strictest sense, the case you outlined - combining the data and clock ticks from the RX model - shouldn't require a mask.  If the eye opening clears  the Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity level at the clock point, the latch should be able to sample the data successfully.  That being the case, I realize that people will still insist on eye masks ... which is why I agree with Mike: understand what assumptions are in the mask and what it means to apply it.

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
Sorry for my poor problem statement...

I mean the output of Rx (as it comes back from
Rx GetWave), used together with the clock ticks
from Rx GetWave to formulate the eye.