[ibis-macro] Re: Minutes from the 26 Apr 2011 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: milabont@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:43:21 -0400

mike

You are obfuscating the issue. This is a simulation standard covering requirements for both the model and the simulation platform. If a parameter is intended to cause changes to simulation results past, present, or future, by use of undocumented parameters, we have a problem. The simulation cannot occur as intended. If unrecognized content provided as Output or Information (which is really output) does not alter flow or results in any way, then it can, of course, be ignored. But if the intention of the parameter is to alter the flow or results, it cannot be ignored. The EDA tool must have the knowledge necessary to use the parameter as designed. Otherwise, the intended functionality is not implemented.

To solve this issue, Model Specific parameters can be included in any AMI model as long as the information output from the model does not alter the simulation flow or results. If a model maker wants specific parameters to perform flow or result alteration, it is necessary for the EDA platform to know how this is accomplished. This is only possible to achieve in two ways:

   * By providing Model Specific EDA code tied to a specific model with
     specific model specific parameters.
   * By standardizing as a Reserved Parameter

The first option is not a standards solution. It may be a quick way to prototype, but long term it is not a viable approach when many EDA platforms may not see a specific model until years after it is released. The second option is the preferred approach.

If we accept the first option as reasonable within the standard, then we risk fragmenting the entire IBIS-AMI modeling and EDA community. Model Specific parameters could then be used by multiple model makers, using the same naming conventions, with totally different usage and intended results. Model makers could provide proprietary solutions that are useful by only a subset of EDA tools in the industry.

Much more reasonable is to utilize the second option, and not allow as */specification compliant /* Model Specific parameters that are intended to output information that alters simulation flow or results (past, present, or future). If a model maker wants to work with a specific EDA vendor to implement non-standard features, they are then making a conscious decision to support only one EDA platform and make their model less widely available to the design community. Given this outcome, there is then strong incentive to fully document the parameters and intended meaning (functionality, flow, results processing ... etc) and refer them to the committee for inclusion as fully specified Reserved Parameters. This then allows the committee to determine if and how the new functionality will be included in the specification.

A model maker can always choose to create a model that is not compliant with the specification. An EDA vendor can always choose to add features that are beyond the specification. A user can always choose to use proprietary solutions outside of the specification. Nothing in the Out/InOut Bird precludes this. However, until these parameters are standardized as Reserved Parameters, they remain non-compliant.

If simulation flow or results are intended to change, how could it be any other way?

scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

On 4/27/2011 2:02 PM, Mike LaBonte wrote:
This really is one of the more important discussions we've had. There is a parallel to the browser war in which Mozilla and Microsoft each proposed competitive new language features and implemented them in their browsers before standardization was achieved. It was painful because pages tested against one browser often would not work right in the other. That condition persists today, to a lesser extent.

Many useful new features emerged from the browser war. The essential platform that made it possible is HTML (based on SGML), a language structure that allows unrecognized information to be easily ignored, coupled with a specification that suggests silently ignoring unrecognized content. From HTML 2.0 ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1866, 1995):

*4.2.1. Undeclared Markup Error Handling
*
   To facilitate experimentation and interoperability between
   implementations of various versions of HTML, the installed base of
   HTML user agents supports a superset of the HTML 2.0 language by
   reducing it to HTML 2.0: markup in the form of a start-tag or end-
   tag, whose generic identifier is not declared is mapped to nothing
   during tokenization. Undeclared attributes are treated similarly. The
   entire attribute specification of an unknown attribute (i.e., the
   unknown attribute and its value, if any) should be ignored.

Adding the BIRD clause we discussed this week would have an entirely different tone. Instead of recommending that unrecognized content be ignored, it calls for unrecognized content to be absent. The philosophical question may be if, as a standards organization, we are more likely to foster and incorporate useful new additions to the standard by taking experimentation into the fold or leaving it outside.

Mike

On 4/27/11 1:09 PM, "fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx" <fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi, Mike;

    I am suggesting model specific parameters can't interfere the
    simulation flow or have effect on results. It's fine for models to
    report parameter values to users.

    Regards,
    Fangyi