[ibis-macro] Re: Minutes from the 26 Apr 2011 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:02:24 -0400

This really is one of the more important discussions we¹ve had. There is a
parallel to the browser war in which Mozilla and Microsoft each proposed
competitive new language features and implemented them in their browsers
before standardization was achieved. It was painful because pages tested
against one browser often would not work right in the other. That condition
persists today, to a lesser extent.

Many useful new features emerged from the browser war. The essential
platform that made it possible is HTML (based on SGML), a language structure
that allows unrecognized information to be easily ignored, coupled with a
specification that suggests silently ignoring unrecognized content. From
HTML 2.0 ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1866, 1995):

4.2.1. Undeclared Markup Error Handling

   To facilitate experimentation and interoperability between
   implementations of various versions of HTML, the installed base of
   HTML user agents supports a superset of the HTML 2.0 language by
   reducing it to HTML 2.0: markup in the form of a start-tag or end-
   tag, whose generic identifier is not declared is mapped to nothing
   during tokenization. Undeclared attributes are treated similarly. The
   entire attribute specification of an unknown attribute (i.e., the
   unknown attribute and its value, if any) should be ignored.

Adding the BIRD clause we discussed this week would have an entirely
different tone. Instead of recommending that unrecognized content be
ignored, it calls for unrecognized content to be absent. The philosophical
question may be if, as a standards organization, we are more likely to
foster and incorporate useful new additions to the standard by taking
experimentation into the fold or leaving it outside.

Mike