[ibis-macro] Re: Jitter Transfer Function

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:04:36 -0500

Greg-

http://www.minicircuits.com/app/VCO15-6.pdf

Offers a treatment of clock spectral phase noise density that appears to be clear, complete, and rigorous. I don't hope to do as good a job. Use this.

Jitter Transfer Function is not relevant to the IBIS discussions. While it's a well established and extremely useful concept, it refers to an analysis to be performed in the EDA tool based on existing outputs from a receiver model. For example, our DesignCon2011 paper presented jitter transfer function results from QCD. The IBIS-AMI model neither knows nor cares that a jitter transfer function analysis is being performed.

Jitter with a specified Jitter Spectral Density is, however, a service that a model may require from the EDA tool in order to produce accurate results.

Hope this helps.
Mike S.

On 09/23/2011 12:29 PM, Gregory R Edlund wrote:

Mike,

Is this this infamous Project Blue Book?  Alien abductions?  8-)

Would you be interested in making a MS Word file with two equations in it for Jitter Spectrum and Jitter Transfer Function?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

Inactive
          hide details for Mike Steinberger ---09/22/2011 02:14:52
          PM---All- I strongly suggest that we be very precise in the tMike Steinberger ---09/22/2011 02:14:52 PM---All- I strongly suggest that we be very precise in the terminology we use,

From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 09/22/2011 02:14 PM
Subject: [ibis-macro] Re: Jitter Transfer Function
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All-

I strongly suggest that we be very precise in the terminology we use, and so I offer the following two simplified definitions:

Jitter Spectrum: The frequency domain spectral density of the phase noise on a clock, as compared to an ideal reference clock. To normalize out the resolution bandwidth of the measurement equipment, this spectral density is expressed with respect to the spectral density of the main spectral component: dB Carrier per root Hz (dbC/root Hz).

Jitter Transfer Function: The ratio of the Fourier transform of the output phase noise of a system divided by the Fourier transform of the input phase noise for that system. This is a transfer function. It has a magnitude and a phase. It's a mapping between an input and an output.

Both of these terms have been widely used in communications analysis for a long time. For example the Bell Labs "Blue Book":
Members of the Bell Labs Technical Staff,
Transmission Systems for Communications, Fifth Edition, pg. 723-40, copyright Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc. 1982.

Thanks for your understanding and your cooperation.
Mike Steinberger

On 09/22/2011 12:57 PM, Walter Katz wrote:
    All,

    There have been several suggestions to enhance AMI to support a Jitter Transfer function for the Tx input and Rx CDR reference clock. The Jitter Transfer Function is simply a table containing two columns; Frequency and Amplitude. This table can either be a Table in the .ami file or a pointer to a file containing the table.

    So the following specific questions:

      1.       Do we want the .ami file to contain a Jitter Transfer Function for the Tx stimulus and the Rx reference clock?
      2.       If yes.
        a.       Do we want to add this to the Jitter BIRD (BIRD123), or create a new BIRD?
        b.      Do we this to be implement as a Table in the .ami file and/or a pointer in the .ami file to a file?

    wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
    Phone 303.449-2308