[ibis-macro] Re: Jitter Transfer Function

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx" <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:59:41 +0000

I agree with the idea of filtering the jitter spectrum in the models. But then,
it seems logical to require definition of the input jitter spectral density,
too. For example, if we know jitter spectral density at Tx, we can find the
density at Rx input by multiplying it on the channel's modular transfer
function (save for possible interaction between jitter and pattern ISI), and
then apply Rx filter to the resulted spectrum and find spectral density at the
output. Spectral density can be converted into 'sigma' but not into PDF unless
we assume normalization.

From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx><mailto:msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/22/2011 02:14 PM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

All-

I strongly suggest that we be very precise in the terminology we use, and so I
offer the following two simplified definitions:

Jitter Spectrum: The frequency domain spectral density of the phase noise on a
clock, as compared to an ideal reference clock. To normalize out the resolution
bandwidth of the measurement equipment, this spectral density is expressed with
respect to the spectral density of the main spectral component: dB Carrier per
root Hz (dbC/root Hz).

Jitter Transfer Function: The ratio of the Fourier transform of the output
phase noise of a system divided by the Fourier transform of the input phase
noise for that system. This is a transfer function. It has a magnitude and a
phase. It's a mapping between an input and an output.

Both of these terms have been widely used in communications analysis for a long
time. For example the Bell Labs "Blue Book":
Members of the Bell Labs Technical Staff, Transmission Systems for
Communications, Fifth Edition, pg. 723-40, copyright Bell Telephone
Laboratories, Inc. 1982.

Thanks for your understanding and your cooperation.
Mike Steinberger

On 09/22/2011 12:57 PM, Walter Katz wrote:
All,

There have been several suggestions to enhance AMI to support a Jitter Transfer
function for the Tx input and Rx CDR reference clock. The Jitter Transfer
Function is simply a table containing two columns; Frequency and Amplitude.
This table can either be a Table in the .ami file or a pointer to a file
containing the table.

So the following specific questions:

1.       Do we want the .ami file to contain a Jitter Transfer Function for the
Tx stimulus and the Rx reference clock?
2.       If yes.
a.       Do we want to add this to the Jitter BIRD (BIRD123), or create a new
BIRD?
b.      Do we this to be implement as a Table in the .ami file and/or a pointer
in the .ami file to a file?

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Phone 303.449-2308
Mobile 720.333-1107

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail,
and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

GIF image