[ibis-macro] Re: Comments on BIRD 107.1

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:53:23 -0700

Walter,

Sounds like we will need to talk about this on Tuesday.

I did notice the usage of the word "filter" in those
sections, and I have no problem with them.  If the Init
function applies the tap coefficients, it does filter.
If the GetWave function applies some other tricks, it
filters.  However, if the EDA tool is only expected to
take the output of Init, and convolve that with the
stimulus bit pattern, it does not filter anything, it
simply combines them.  This is why I got hung up on this.

If we used the word filter for that, we open the door
for all kinds of processing which I don't this was
the intension.

Now, how can we express these thoughts without using
the specific word "convolution"?  Well, in this case
we may just have to use that word, but I was just
wondering whether this convolution can be described
in any other way without using that specific word, but
without making it so vague that the EDA vendor could
do anything else...

Have a good weekend.