[ibis-macro] Re: BIRD-125: ISS as package-model

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:33:49 -0800

Kukal,

Your statement that "the BIRD requires the user to always specify one
sub-circuit for the whole package"

is incorrect.  The [Pin Numbers] keyword in the package model does NOT

have to have a full listing of all the pins listed in the [Pin] keyword

of the .ibs file.  So you may have a 10000 pin device with a 6 pin
package

model (which describes three differential SERDES channels, for example).

You may wonder, how would you then be able to describe several different

subsets of the 10000 pin device if there is only one [Package Model]
keyword

in an .ibs file.  This is when the [Alternate Package Models] keyword
can be

used.  You can write a bunch of package models using the [Define Package
Model]

keyword, each of which can cover a different section of the full device,
or

give alternate versions for the same section, and when you simulate
certain

pins of the fill device, you would just select the corresponding package

model from the [Alternate Package Models] keyword.

Regarding the direct referencing of the S-parameter models, I think it
is

not a bad idea, but it has its own complications in the area of port
ordering.

If we invented such a direct reference to S-parameters, we would also
need

to make provisions for defining the port ordering.  If you have ideas on
how

to do this, feel free to write a BIRD...  I just like the ISS subcircuit
approach

better because there is more flexibility in the ISS subcircuit.  A
direct

instantiation of the S-parameter may be somewhat simpler, but is only a

subset of what ISS can do.

=========