[ian-reeds-games] Re: questions for map packs

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:14:57 -0400

Hi,
There is two ways to do this.
One is to make a structure which can be moved when it is given a point of
some sort.
The second way is for a skill to transform a terrain, and is able to switch
between a closed and open door terrain.

The real question is, do you want a door to be completely impervious to
damage, or do you want something that will be able to destroyed after taking
a certain number of damage.

For a good look at doors that can be manipulated, check out my one hit
wonder map, also called zombie house. You will notice that the players
characters have a skill called actuate that will give a point to a door,
the best example is the garage doors.
If you like these kind of doors but don't want them to be destroyed, then
just give the doors a type of health that the enemy cannot do.

For an example of the  terrain type of door closeing and opening, use the
Replace terrain skill flag.

• replace_terrain=, takes oldTerrain|newTerrain and causes the skill to
replace the old terrain type with the new one. You can specify multiple
replacement
groups by separating them with commas. Such as:
grass|burnt_grass,tree|burnt_tree

So a skill could be called "use door".

I would make it like this.

Skill
10
|flags
Description Allows the unit to open and close doors. Use this on any tile
that says opened door or closed door. Costs 1 action, range is 1. Key is D.
Terrain
Key=d
   action_cost=1
replace_terrain=opened_door|closed_door,closed_door|opened_door
sound=door

Then you would just make terrain that the tile would turn into.
The opened door would be like a floor. The closed door would have things
like blocks_sight and impassable on it.

If you wished, you could split the skill into two. One opens and one closes
and then you could use sounds to signify each one. That is really up to you.

Hope that helps you out.