[ian-reeds-games] prevent equipment changing exploits in map packs

  • From: "Victorious" <dtvictorious@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:52:10 +0800

Hi All

I discovered another bug with skills that have a manage_equipment. The bug
is that when you use skills with manage_equipment, it does not do any
processing after it pulls up the equipment screen. So that means that the
cost subtractions for points are not done, self_effects are not ignored etc.
This posed a challenge, as I wanted a way to limit the number of times that
players could access the equipment menu to prevent using equipment with lots
of damage boosting bonuses, using skills, then switching out into protective
equipment at the end of your turn.

After an hour of brainstorming with Carlos, we figured out a solution for
this issue - force players to access the manage equipment menu at the start
of the round, or not at all. This was achieved by creating a point called
equipment, and using inheritance to have all of the player controlled units
have 1 of this equipment point, and for 1 equipment point to be restored at
the end of the turn. All skills except drop, get, use and take item would
use a self_effects=equipment_inflict which has a duration of 0, and does
equipment_inflict=1. This means that the usage of any skill would subtract
this equipment point, making it impossible to switch eq. It's a really
painful workaround to employ especially if the map has dozens to hundreds of
skills, but it does get the job done till the bug is fixed. Hope that our
experiences help someone.

Carlos and Victorious