[ian-reeds-games] map creation troubles

  • From: "Dickson Tan" <dickson.jaws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:30:08 +0800

Hi all

I've been running into things that I'm trying to get my maps to do but
can't. I'm not sure whether it is not possible to do what I'm trying to do
or if I'm just using the wrong cyntax.

1. When a tile is affected by effect x, I want spell y to last an extra
round when cast on such a tile. I've tried using y_duration_mod but it
doesn't work. I'm also trying to have an effect that only increases the
damage dealt by certain skills. For example, health_inflict_mod=5|electric
would increase damage of all damaging skills by 5 electric, but I want to
limit the bonus to specific skills.

2. Is there a way to specify the chances of a secondary effect occuring? For
example, an explosion that has a 10% chance of stunning opponents.

3. I'm trying to write a passive skill of a unit so that when it moves on a
tile affected by a certain effect, there is a 50% chance of the effect's
removal without any additional cost for the user. I've thought of having
something like a different move skill that removes that effect on the
destination tile that has a 50% chance of success but then i realized that
the unit would fail to move 50% of the time lol.

4. Can you specify some flavour text that the game speaks when you use a
skill on a target, when a skill fails (e.g the evil archer shoots an arrow
but it falls short of its target), when a skill/effect ends or when
particular units/structures die?

5. I am thinking of making a boss unit appear when every other enemy unit
has died but the only way I've thought of doing that is kind of iffy; I
would have that boss trapped behind a structure and the only skill that can
destroy it would take say 25 special points to cast and that boss unit
regens 1 point per round.

6. Can you set a flag that tells the AI that the use of this skill has
drawbacks or something so that it can decide whether it is worth using? For
example, I remembered an enemy mage using a destructive spell which also
ended up killing off a weakened enemy healer and doing a bunch of splash
damage to other enemy units. Also, does specifying more than 1 AI hint have
any effect?

7. Can you have effects that do damage at an increasing rate? For example,
it could start off doing 10 damage at the end of the first round, then 20,
30, 40 etc according to whatever formula you specify. Could be pretty useful
for poisons or plagues that infect the user, does increasing damage till it
reaches a point then naturally clears up over time, doing decreasing damage
per round near the end of the effect.

8. when a spell is cast and If an effect is present on a tile, i want the
effect to be cancelled but the actual spell to not occur. If the effect is
absent, the spell occurs as per usual. The closest i've come is to having it
cast the spell as usual and remove an effect from the square.

Dickson