[ian-reeds-games] Multiplayer server and dev 10

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:27:01 -0700

Hi guys,

I really need to apologize for not responding for the past few days.

At first I was just taking a break from TB for a bit after the work on multiplayer and yesterday was my birthday so I hardly got on my computer at all.

Richard, I've fixed the bug you found. I'm amazed at how well you narrowed it down. It happened somewhere in all the other changes for multiplayer that went on.
The fix is in dev 10 which has a link at the bottom of this email.

Jarek, that is a strange error, I'll look at it a bit more but any extra information could be helpful. Does it happen the moment you open the game or after you do something in particular?

Carlos and everyone else, I didn't intentionally take down the multiplayer server. It seems to have a strange bug in it that causes it to stop responding but not crash and as I wasn't checking on it for a while it stayed broken. I've added some additional logging in hopes that next time it goes down I might get some more clues about why it's happening. It is hosted on a virtual windows server that also hosts the website, so if the website is up then the virtual windows server is up and the problem is with the TB Server. I've started it up again, but I fully expect it to stop working due to the same bug, so give it a shot and when it stops working I'll see if there are any clues about why.

Craig, I'm not sure how to handle holding on to an old unit that you've removed from the map. My gut reaction was to just store it on the global object, but I know that won't work across save states and there may or may not be a chance of it getting garbage collected. I think we'll have to come up with a better solution. Maybe something like another object where you can store .NET objects. I suppose they'd be saved on the C# side. Anyway, I'll need to think about it more. Regarding the issue of the AI camping after about 15 turns I'm not sure what that is. It's not building up for a larger attack, it's not that smart.
There must be some other bug.
Let me know if you narrow it down more.
Great to hear about your map updates by the way.

Here's the link for dev 10:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43120001/Tactical%20Battle%201.13%20dev%2010.zip