[ian-reeds-games] Ideas about transporting units

  • From: Zak Claassen <zak.claassen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 06:53:48 +0200

Units having the ability to transport other units would be a very
useful feature, especially in C&C and similar future maps.  I can
think of two ways this can work:
1. Units who move onto the same tile as the transport are considered
as moving onto the transport itself.  If the transport is moved, all
the units move with it.  In this way the transport is like a movable
tile.  You could then tab to the units on the transport to control
them individually.  This is sort of how it works in time of conflict.
2. The units are loaded into the transport, removing them from the map
but storing them so that they can be recreated at another point.  This
way you would summon a unit loaded in the transport back onto the map
with the stats it had before being removed.  This is how it works in
sound rts.
Both have upsides and downsides, but I've got a feeling option 2 would
be easier to implement but of course  I'm not sure.  Just some
thoughts.