[ian-reeds-games] Re: AI Weirdness and request to update my map listings on the tb site

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:27:48 -0600

Hi Dickson,

I've updated your map pack listing on the map packs page and also in the in game download map packs list.
The in game list can take up to 2 hours to update.

Off hand I'm stumped on the AI problem you're hitting.
Does this problem happen in dev 27? Does it work in an earlier 1.13 dev version?
I'll see if I can have a look on your test map soon.

Ian Reed

On 8/25/2013 7:26 AM, Dickson Tan wrote:

Hi all

Apologies in advance for the length of this email. I've been working on an update to my demon invasion map that I released several months ago to fix balance issues and add more strategies players can use. I'm having trouble with the odd behavior of the AI when I made a map with 2 units that are controlled by the player and the sole enemy unit being the boss mob.

These are the following skills that it had:

greater_healing_touch annihilation ground earthen_shroud aqua_ring fire_shield thunder_wave ice_imprison eruption plague mass_plague vulnerability corruption desecration move //skills

This is what happens on a test map.

Turn changed: The forces of evil

the evil archmage eldrin uses ground on the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

the evil archmage eldrin uses earthen shroud on  the evil archmage eldrin

Round: 2

It appears to process the fact that ground is a buff correctly and cast it only once. However, when I advance the game into the second turn onwards, it will cast only earthen shroud as many times as it can and ignore other buffs or attack skills. This is the skill and effect files for ground and earthen shroud.

Skill

2 // Parser version

Causes a thin film of electricity to grow around the target increasing their resistance to electrical attacks by 30 for 5 rounds. Costs 15 mana and 1 AP, range 3. Key G

friendly

ai_buff

effects=ground

mana_cost=15

actions_cost=1

range=3

key=g

sound=ground

Effect

1 // Parser version

Reduces electric damage taken by 30 for 5 rounds.

unit

health_protect=30|electric

duration=5

Skill

2 // Parser version

Causes a protective coating of earth to grow around the target increasing their resistance to physical and earth attacks by 15 for 5 rounds. Costs 15 mana and 1 AP, range 3. Key S

friendly

ai_buff

effects=earthen_shroud

mana_cost=15

actions_cost=1

range=3

key=s

sound=earthen_shroud

Effect

1 // Parser version

Reduces earth and physical damage  taken by 15 for 5 rounds.

unit

health_protect=15|earth,15|physical

duration=5

I removed the earthen shroud skill so the next skill after ground would be aqua ring. Sure enough, it casted ground properly but then got stuck and would only cast aqua ring. I tried to work around this by removing these buff skills and creating a passive skill called the robes of the archmage that would provide him the buffs he would get from casting earthen shroud, fire shield, aqua ring and ground separately. After doing that, the skills for this unit looks like this:

greater_healing_touch annihilation thunder_wave ice_imprison eruption plague mass_plague vulnerability corruption desecration move robes_of_the_archmage //

Unfortunately when I reloaded the map, it then proceeded to use thunder wave, which is a curse skill, on only 1 target. It would do so repeatedly like above and not switch to another target on the same tile. The skill and effect file for thunder wave follows.

Skill

2 // Parser version

Delivers a powerful electric shock to the nervous system. The pain from the shock makes it more difficult to perform actions. Increases the AP cost of all actions by 2 for 3 rounds. Lightning demons and demonic giants are immune. Costs 20 mana and 2 AP, range 3. Key T

enemy

ai_curse

effects=thunder_wave

not_useable_on=lightning_demon,archmage_eldrin,demonic_giant,aeromancer

mana_cost=20

actions_cost=2

range=3

sound=thunder_wave

key=t

Effect

1 // Parser version

increases AP cost of all actions the target performs by 2 for 3 turns

unit

announce

actions_cost_mod=2

duration=3

I'm extremely perplexed by the odd behavior of the AI. Does anyone have any clues on what might be causing it? My work in progress map pack, if anyone wants to recreate the problem, can be downloaded from

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2138237/demon%20wars%20cycle.zip

The map I used for testing is called test.

BTW Ian, can you update the listing for my maps on the tactical battle site so that it is called the demon wars cycle, points to this link and says that it is by Victorious? I will probably use a different email for this list soon and go by the name Victorious as that is what most people know me as online and will help to avoid future confusion.

Thanks

Dickson