Re: [i3] Troubles using Mod4

  • From: Nicolas Bercher <nbercher@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Discussions/Questions about the i3 window manager <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:31:34 +0200

On 17/06/2015 20:25, Kareem wrote:

On 2015-06-17 2005, Nicolas Bercher wrote:
I have troubles using Mod4+<any>.

Here is my configuration sample:

bindsym Mod4+Up exec alsa-volume-increase
bindsym Mod4+Down exec alsa-volume-decrease
bindsym Mod4+m exec alsa-volume-toggle-mute

where alsa-volume-* are bash script that do work very well
from the shell.

I think the problem is that you haven't written the full path to your
script. I think i3 doesn't care about your $PATH, it's kind-of like
cron.

Good point, but I do use absolute path (and are correct), but my sample
conf was just simplified for the discussion here.

But the trouble IS relate to $PATH anyway: my scripts source other bash
source files (kind of bash libs), so my question now is (since I've
investigated a lot around PATH yet):

How do I set a more large, user-dependent, PATH so that i3 is aware of,
say, my ~/bin/ folder (or any other as well) ?

I've tried to define a correct ~/.xsessionrc, actually it points to my
~/.profile which in turn sources ~/.bashrc.

Would that be correct a approach? (since everything is OK from a bash
session).

Thanks a lot,
Nicolas