Re: [i3] Obsolete focus change?

  • From: Marco Hunsicker <i3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:43:08 +0100

Hey Michael,

Well, focus will not actually be updated, i.e. no communication from i3
to X11 happens because of our state machine model. con_focus() and
rendering the tree are both supposed to work at any time and be pretty
fast, so it’s not a big concern.

Thanks for the explanation. I did not delve that deep into the source code to be aware of such machinery. My changes were merely superficial and wouldn't have been possible without Kevin Murphy already having done the real work.

In case you feel strongly about this, you could send a patch which would
short-circuit this code path and then try all the weird corner cases we
have (various layouts, decoration styles, mouse transitions between
monitors, etc.). Personally, I don’t think that’s worth it.

I certainly trust your judgement :)

Cheers,
Marco