Re: [i3] Google hangouts extension

  • From: Anders Aagaard <aagaande@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:19:59 +0200

Hi

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anders Aagaard <aagaande@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Starting to implement the client side of this I realize it might be
good to know the workspace of the window in question. That's easy
enough to add. Also technically we could skip the "changed" field, as
the "focused" field in the container will tell you the same
information. I also wouldn't mind knowing the window class. Any
technical reason that's not already in the Con class?
It is -- I think you're not using the "next" branch, but you should. The
"master" branch contains the latest release + bugfixes only, whereas
development happens in "next".

I actually wrote the patch on master and then rebased (and tested) on
next afterwards. I didn't notice that WM_CLASS was there in next
though, brilliant! I also saw the replies on the pr, and that's what I
get for not checking next ;). One thing it does not have though is an
event for windows that doesn't get focus. However I'm a bit uncertain
about how to add that cleanly, since the event is now pushed in a very
different location.

I could of course add it directly from the "Request to focus con on a
hidden workspace" check in handlers.c. It feels a bit bad though since
the other event is sent in a very different place (x.c). Also would an
event called "focus" that has "focused":False be enough to make sense
api wise?

Alternately I could add some code to start sending events for
con_set_urgency (since focus request that fails now sets an urgency),
but it wouldn't be usable for my use case unless I also add a reason
for the urgency change. Which I guess could be
demands_attention/focus_request and wm_hints? Not sure about that last
one, where it's really coming from ;).

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Anders Aagaard <aagaande@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sent a patch to http://cr.i3wm.org/patch/559 now. I unfortunately
can't get the tests running. Trying to start up a x session with
Xdummy seems to make the nvidia driver explode... I've done some
manual testing and I really don't see how this could screw up anything
else (.. famous last words I know).
I have the tests working with nvidia 331.67. Can you be more specific
about what breaks on your machine?

It's an issue with glx, I've got an nvidia optimus setup, so I'm not
terribly surprised. I could probably get it working fine by not
out it fails starting the X session, so it's not the test running part
that's broken).

--
Best regards,
Michael