[i3] IPC window focus change event

  • From: Marco Hunsicker <i3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 23:49:04 +0100

Howdy,

first and foremost thanks for all the work that went into i3! It seems to hit just the right sweet spot between feature set, ease of use, documentation and extensibility.

While searching for solutions to display the title of the focused window in the bar (I have three monitors and plenty of horizontal space that should be put to good use), I was not able to come up with a fully satisfying solution.

But I found an old thread that provides some useful code for such a feature: "Added 'focus' IPC message/event" by Kevin Murphy, <http://infra.in.zekjur.net/pipermail/i3-discuss/2012-November/001039.html>

With such an event it should be possible to keep the general refresh rate low and still have the title updated immediately after focus change.

From the reply it seems that such an enhancement could make it into the core. If the mentioned shortcomings could be fixed, would you be willing to accept a patch? Thanks.

Cheers,

Marco