[i3] Call for testing: i3lock’s xcb-xkb branch

  • From: Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 21:21:22 +0100

Hi,

Ran Benita (CC'ed) has been working on libxkbcommon-x11, a library that
handles the last few bits of tedious details in getting input handling
right. In i3lock, we have been using a mixture of libX11’s XKB functions
and libxkbcommon until now, but with the most recent release, xcb has
xcb-xkb enabled by default, so we can start using that. The advantage is
that i3lock will be XCB-only and more of the input handling code goes
into libxkbcommon, where bugs can be addressed without us having to
update our code.

Anyway, there is a new i3lock branch which contains a number of commits
to use libxkbcommon-x11 and xcb-xkb; you can get it using

git clone -b xcb-xkb git://code.i3wm.org/i3lock

To compile it, you’ll need libxcb-xkb and libxkbcommon-x11. The latter
is only available via git:

git clone -b xcb-wip https://github.com/xkbcommon/libxkbcommon.git

Be sure to pass --enable-x11 when compiling libxkbcommon.

It would be great if as many of you as possible could build libxkbcommon
by hand, compile the i3lock branch and use the new i3lock code in your
day to day work. To verify that you are using the new code, watch out
for “process_xkb_event” messages when i3lock was started with --debug
and you press the shift key (or any other modifier).

The code has been tested with the US and NEO2 keyboard layouts. I’d be
especially interested to hear about success in layouts other than
those two. Please just reply to this email and keep Ran CC'ed.

--
Best regards,
Michael