[huskerlug] Re: less processor to specific program

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:09:23 -0600

Actually..... that wouldn't matter too much for general systemwide
stuff.  When I see the top screen while running UML, it runs as a
regular process.  Nice that to -19.  Then run process in the UML it
is controlled by the UML's scheduler, but if that is the only process
running in the UML that would eat up all the time slices in the UML,
and so the whole UML process which gives it the effective priority
level of the UML process.

On second thought, I would consider this detremental to system
performance.  With the UML it eats up memory whether or not it is
being used within the UML.  For example, if it is a 64 meg UML, it
would always eat up that even though your process in the UML only
eats 4 megs.  However, if you are doing DVD's, those eat up HUGE
amounts of ram, and so it will be doing lotsa swapping in the virtual
disk.  If you have less real ram than is needed the host os will also
be swapping therefore trashing the disk.  Another hit on system
performance is the UML kernel itself eating cpu time for its own
housekeeping.  So, yes it would run really slow, but so would the
rest of the system and the programs you wanted to run fast wouldn't
in the end.

On Monday 10 March 2003 17:33, you wrote:
> Ir if you really want to go crazy and lower the priority of
> something then you can make a UserMode Linux filesystem and start
> it up.  Renice the UML process to the lowest possible, then start
> the encoding process inside the UML system and renice that to the
> lowest as possible.  Then it would REALLY run slow.. =)  Just in
> case you can't sleep....
>
> -Cesar Delgado
> Secure Distributed Information @ UNL
> http://rcf.unl.edu
> cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, beettlle@xxxxxxxxxxx

- --
J.R. Wessels
jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GnuPG fingerprint: 6F23 25BD FF92 3308 9374 4026 B5CD CE09 BC07 9BC5
Public key found on my website at http://ranko.homelinux.net