[huskerlug] Re: Running Windows XP inside Linux

  • From: Gabe Ives <gabe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:42:42 -0600

GreyGeek wrote:
> What I am looking for is a way to run the existing installation of XP,
> on hda1, in a virtual window on my MEPIS system without having to reboot.
>
> Possible?

I haven't done this in a long time, but VMware Workstation has an
advance option of running a Guest OS from a real physical partition (I
don't know if this is a feature with the other virtualization software
you listed).  In the past I had mix results running a pre-existing
Windows installation in this way.  So it might "just work", or it might
not.  If it doesn't work, you'll get a BSOD, but a Windows "repair" from
an installation CD should fix that (but I think you mentioned not having
a real installation disk for the laptop).  Also if it's the type that
needs activation, it might require re-activation.

Something else I have done is create a new virtual machine on a
different computer (using virtual disks and not a real partition),
making sure networking works on the virtual machine, boot both the real
computer that has the Windows Installation you want to save and the
virtual machine that is currently running on a different computer with
ghost boot disks, and ghost the "real" computer to the virtual machine.
Making sure not to "boot" the virtual machine after ghosting (on the
"other" computer).  Then what I have done is wipe out the Windows
Installation on the computer I just ghosted, install and setup Linux,
copy the virtual machine (with the virtual disk) over from the "other
"computer, and run the virtual machine.

The same issues can result from this method as the first one I
described, it may "just work", or you might get a BSOD, but that can be
repaired.  And it may or may not need re-activation.

Those are the two methods I've used to migrate pre-existing OS
installations to run under a virtual machine.  There might be other
methods, some better, but I haven't needed to do that in a while (it's
been a couple of years).

Gabe