[huskerlug] Running Windows XP inside Linux

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HuskerLug <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:29:41 -0600

Folks,
I have only one reason for booting into Windows - to run an app called
IQAN that is available only for Windows.  When my farmer friend needs no
more changes to the drive-by-wire program I wrote for him using IQAN
then XP will get wiped.  But, meanwhile, I decided to see if there is a
way I could run Windows from within Linux so that I could run IQAN
without having to reboot to the XP side.

I've been playing with Parallels and looking at Win4Lin.  BOTH want to
create "virtual" rooms into which one installs XP from a CD.

I DON'T want to do that.   First, my laptop came with only a recovery
CD, not an install CD.  Second, a couple years ago I purchased a
licensed copy of XP on a CD, to backup on a tower PC I used to have the
IQAN tool.  But, that box died and now I have that unused copy laying on
the bookshelf.   However,  I have promised to give it to a needy
individual so I can't install it even in a virtual mode.

What I am looking for is a way to run the existing installation of XP,
on hda1, in a virtual window on my MEPIS system without having to reboot.

Possible?
--
GreyGeek