[huskerlug] IBM S/390 - whoot!

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLUG <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:12:15 -0600

I was recently contacted by an IBM rep, Rick DeSchepper, who is
responsible for all the higher education contacts in this region of
the US.  He gave me several links that are of interest to the group.

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/info/university/scholarsprogram/
http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/
http://consultingtimes.com/Serverheist.html

The first gives some of the details on a program that UNL may be in,
I'll have to ask him for confirmation on that.  There are several
benefits in the program that may be extended to HLUG members since we
are under the university umbrella.  The second is a link to IBM's
page for their Linux initiative in general.  The third gives some
info on their commercial server heist - which I still have yet to see.

While this may sound "ok", it's the other information in the email
that really got my attention.  First, for the "COOL" announcement.
We will probably have an IBM rep come to one of the meetings,
probably the January 31st one, and fill us in on what they are doing
with the university and how we can get involved.

The second bit of info in the email I saved for last to tell you.  It
ranks up there in the range of the "WHOA! YOU PULLING MY LEG?!"
rating.  We may be able to get access to a S/390 server to help do
some research into how the university could use such a machine, and
leverage Linux at the same time.  If you don't know, the S/390 is a
HUGE mainframe - aka the Big Iron - the IBM CMOS S/390 9672-R36.
Currently the machine he was refering to brings 345 mainframe MIPS to
the Linux party and is largely unused.

I'm sure many of you know about this mainframe, but I'm not able to
divulge any more info till I'm given the ok.  About a year ago when I
knew about it initially, I was under orders from my supervisor not to
give any info out on it.  The reason I'm giving info out now, is I
came across the information through a third source as the HLUG chair,
not as a NET employee.

If you want to give more info out, feel free to do so.  My hands are
tied until I can get an all clear.

All in all though, I would consider this VERY good news.

- --
J.R. Wessels

NETV Linux Admin and Security Assistant
HLUG Chair - http://www.unl.edu/hlug
jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx

Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is
perfect. --- Linus Torvalds