[huskerlug] Do you have a receipt for that software?

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HuskerLug <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:53:20 -0600

http://advantage.hanleywood.com/default.aspx?page=article355

From the article:

"It's no good to show me a software box," says Jenny Blank, BSA director of
enforcement. "We need proof of ownership — and that's a dated invoice."

In fact, according to Dallas-based attorney Robert Scott, whose firm
specializes in defending companies against the BSA in what it considers to
be spurious claims of software piracy, the BSA standards of proof are much
stricter than that. In addition to the price and date, the invoice must
include the company's exact name in the "Sold to" spot, and it must list
the product name and version number.

"The BSA will not accept any other proof," Scott says, adding that the BSA
also categorically denies the validity of all eBay invoices, even from
legal dealers selling excess inventory.

Eliminating the risk associated with the BSA's proof-of-ownership
requirements is easy:"

IT SURE IS, just use Linx and Open Source! :-)