[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter - Law of Product Development

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:06:52 -0700

              LAW OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 8  Issue 06

  My next web cast happens tomorrow!

  "Jitter Effects in Modern System Design",

see registration:
www.xilinx.com/events/webcasts/100405_signalintegrity.htm

  Live Web cast
  Date: 10-04-05
  Time: 11:00AM PDT; 2:00EDT; 18:00GMT
  Location: Your Desktop

  I feel lucky to be back home this week after
  aborting a trip to Houston just as Hurricane Rita
  bore down on the city. I escaped just days before
  the brunt of the storm arrived. Unless you have
  lived through such an event, you cannot imagine the
  surreal panic spreading slowly through a city as
  people began to realize the enormity of the
  situation unfolding around them.

  I did a presentation at Rice University on Tuesday,
  but then cancelled all my classes at H.P. scheduled
  for Thursday and Friday when it became apparent that
  no one would be at work on those days--too busy
  buying flashlights and bottled water.

  Hot, humid, still air hung like a wet blanket across
  my shoulders as I made to way slowly, painstakingly,
  across the metropolitan area on Wednesday afternoon,
  headed north for Dallas. Why didn't I fly? All
  flights from Houston were booked. The drive to
  Dallas (my hometown), usually a 3-1/2 hour jaunt,
  took 14 hours. Police blocked entrances to the
  interstate to "keep traffic flowing", although you
  could hardly call 6-lane bumper-to-bumper traffic a
  "flow". People who exited the freeway found gas
  stations out of gas, stores out of food and water,
  and everyone out of patience. I am glad I fueled up
  early that morning while the city was still
  functioning. Once at the Dallas airport, my flight
  finally left, but 8 hours late. Compared to the
  suffering of others, my story seems inconsequential.
  Just a few days lost.

  If you live in the gulf region, or have family
  there, I extend to you my sympathy and best wishes
  for a speedy recovery from the incalculable damage
  done by this season's storms.

  I would like to thank my attentive staff for quickly
  recognizing the seriousness of the situation and
  finding a flight from Dallas that got me out of
  there. THANK YOU JENNIFER AND LIZ.

LAW OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT

Mehran Abbasi writes:  [edited]

   I am trying to connect a source at 5V to a load at
  3.3V using a 50-ohm transmission line. What kind of
  termination can I use which does this attenuation?

Dr. Johnson replies:

  Achieving both attenuation and termination requires
  two resistors. At the source end of your connection,
  install a series resistor of approximately 22 ohms.
  At the destination end, install a shunt termination
  resistance of 50 ohms. These two components, in
  conjunction with the transmission line, form a
  perfect attenuator with a ratio of 50/(50+22).
  Adjust the 22-ohm resistor to account for the series
  resistance of your driver, in order to perfect the
  received signal size.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  Dr. Johnson,

  Your answer was very simple and great, but why does
  one bother using a PI or T networks for attenuation?

  Thanks,
  Mehran Abbasi

  Dear Mehran,

  It is an immutable law of product development that
  the more independent requirements you place on a
  circuit, the more complex the circuit must become to
  accommodate those new requirements. For example, if
  you said, "attenuate this signal", I could just
  stick a 100 meg-ohm resistor in series with your
  driver--that makes plenty of attenuation.

  If you say you want a specific amount of
  attenuation, like a ratio of 2/3, then I must get
  more details about the source and load impedances in
  the circuit so I can derive the correct value of
  resistance.

  If you want a specific amount of attenuation AND
  ALSO the property of termination (i.e., a specific
  input impedance at the load, or at the source, or
  both), then I have to add complexity to meet that
  new requirement. The circuit I supplied has two
  resistors, representing your two requirements:
  specific attenuation and termination.

  "PI" and "T" networks have three components, and are
  thus *more* than capable of meeting your
  requirements. With a PI or T network, I can design a
  circuit that presents a controlled impedance on the
  left side, a controlled impedance on the right side,
  and also a specific degree of attenuation (within
  practical limits).

  Your requirements can be met using only two parts,
  because all you asked for is a controlled impedance
  at one point (at the end termination) and a specific
  attenuation.

  Other examples of two-element resistive networks and
  their application to digital design appear in my
  article "Matching Pads":

  www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/matchingpads.htm

  The networks in that article couple two transmission
  lines having different impedances. The networks have
  only two requirements (at most), namely that the
  network present a specific controlled impedance on
  one side, or the other, or both. The exact degree of
  attenuation remains unspecified. In that article I
  present networks that produce the minimum
  attenuation given the requirements. Controlling the
  impedance on only one side or the other requires
  only one resistor, but controlling the impedance on
  both sides requires two resistors.

  In that article the attenuation remains unspecified,
  so the two impedance requirements can be met with
  (at most) just two components.

  Suppose I change the problem to impose three
  requirements: (1) controlled impedance for signals
  encountering the net from left side, (2) controlled
  impedance for signals encountering the net from the
  right side, and (3) a specific value of attenuation.
  In this case, you need three components to solve the
  constraint equations, resulting in a "T" or "PI"
  network.

  Radio engineers use "T" and "PI" attenuating
  networks a lot. The networks are usually designed
  for controlled impedances equal to 50 ohms as viewed
  from both sides, and a specific degree of
  attenuation. Such a network can be "dropped in"
  anywhere within a 50-ohm circuit.

  Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  Dear Dr. Johnson,

   One more question.

   Suppose I use either a "PI" or "T" resistive
  attenuation at end of a 50-ohm transmission line. Do
  I still need a 50-ohm parallel resistor at the input
  of device or a series termination at the output of
  source?

Kind regards,
Mehran Abbasi

  Dear Mehran,

  I suppose a lot of projects go this way--the
  requirements do not become clear until you are
  almost finished with the design.

  You seem to really want to use a "PI" or "T"
  network. That would be overkill for the requirements
  you have articulated to me, namely:

     (1) Some kind of termination,

     (2) Located at the end of the line

     (3) With a gain of 2/3.

  Assume the driver is on the left, leading to a
  receiver on the right side of your diagram.

  To form a 50-ohm end termination with a gain of 2/3
  you connect the right end of the transmission line
  to a 17-ohm resistor, and the far end of the
  resistor to your receiver. Then shunt a second
  resistor (33 ohms) between the receiver input and
  ground.

  The resulting two-element network looks like either
  a "T" missing it's right arm, or a "PI" missing its
  left leg, depending on which way you look at it.

  This circuit produces a nominal 50-ohm end
  termination. I believe the circuit I first suggested
  is superior for two reasons:

     (a) The first circuit draws less current from the
     driver (reducing power, radiation, and
     crosstalk).

     (b) The first circuit provides some nominal
     amount of termination at the source. If the
     receiver has a lot of parasitic capacitance, the
     source resistor helps damp the reflections that
     result from that capacitance. In that way, it
     works somewhat like a both-ends terminated setup.

  This time I am going to publish my remarks in this
  newsletter and hope that perhaps, finally, I have
  gotten to the root of your question. If you need
  more help, find an electrical engineer local to your
  area that can explain to you how electronic circuits
  behave, and craft a solution that will satisfy you.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  We have been extraordinarily busy this season doing
  private classes; join us at our next upcoming public
  seminars in San Jose the week of January 30, 2006. A
  full schedule of cities and dates appears at:
  www.sigcon.com

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2005, Signal Consulting, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.