[homeclinic] Portable Washing Machines

  • From: KinerA@xxxxxxx
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:10:49 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/2005 7:59:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:
However:
I'm seeing American-made front  loaders' main bearings
lasting only 5-7  years, and that's just not  long enough (I
don't see enough 'offshore'  brand machines - Asko,  Miele,
etc - to know much about their  reliability).
It's tough  to fix this inherent weakness, and it's the  number
one reason (of  several) that I can't recommend these machines.

My  wife and I have had two of the top-load "portable" washers which we used

hooked up to the kitchen sink faucet.

The first was a whirlpool made  for Kenmore and that lasted 20 yrs.  We
replaced that with a  whirlpool named top loader, small machine adapted as
portable
to the  kitchen sink.

We have had this second machine for 10 yrs.  This  second machine just  a
couple weeks ago started leaking and the repair  man tells us that the main
bottom
bearing went and it costs almost as  much to repair as to replace.   Maybe
there is also a problem with  top loader bearings.

BTW, the whirlpool nameplate portable model which is  now being sold is
actually  made out the country, I think Korea,  and the repairman told us
not to
buy a foreign machine.  At the  same time, whirlpool makes in the US  a
machine
of the size and type we  want for Crosley.  We live on  the same block as a
family that  owns an appliance store, and they also said to  buy only US
made.  So
that left us with the whirlpool made machine with the  Crosley name on  it.
We
boutht the Crosley nameplate machine made by  Whirlpool in  the US.

Any  comments?

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic