[hogalumni Newsletter] Robin Stover

  • From: Wayne Beck <webeck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hogalumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:20:07 -0600

AHS principal responds to editorial
By: Robin Stover - Texarkana Gazette

‘Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.’

—Mark Twain

In regards to the recent editorial in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (reprinted in Sunday’s Texarkana Gazette), normally, we, in the Texarkana, Arkansas, School District would decline to respond to slanderous and misinformed reporting in fear that it might give the meritless some perverse sense of worth or gratification. However, when facts are mistakenly printed, when perspectives are horribly twisted by political rhetoric, and when accusations are made by those who have never set foot in our school, we feel as though we have no choice but to tell our own story.

First, the facts. Arkansas High School in Texarkana is, in fact, on the state of Arkansas’ list of troubled school as a State-Directed Year 8 School. The reason we have remained on this list is due to low performance in certain sub-populations on the 11th Grade Literacy Exam. What the editorial fails to mention, however, is that Arkansas High met Safe Harbor (the nationally-set standard for necessary growth) in math for the 2010-2011 school year. What this means is that our Geometry scores have shown a 29% improvement over the past three years; and our Algebra I scores have shown a 55% improvement. Even in Literacy, we have shown a 19% improvement.

The most egregious of the reported “facts” is the touting of a “sorry record” of graduation that places us 239th out of 252 high schools in the state. Our graduation rate declined along with many others when the state moved from a completion rate to a cohort rate. By working with a former NORMES employee, we began to understand the unique tracking and coding problems faced by a border city competing with four other city schools. And the result? Last year, of the 252 seniors who walked through our doors, we graduated 248 (with two more returning to graduate this year).

Almost as offensive is the parading around of the 5.7% dropout rate. Although it is one of the most disturbing statistics for those of us who understand it, those who have little to no understanding of the educational system will balloon it into justification for an additional school to serve those students. In actuality, that rate refers to one graduating class of students, meaning that it indicates approximately fourteen students—far fewer than the one hundred to two hundred that Responsive Education claims to target. Additionally, that rate has declined from 8.9% in 2008 by a full percentage point or more each of the past four years.

Our story, however, is not about numbers as much as it is about people. It is about a group of African-American students who have formed a club intended to bring varied groups of kids together. It is about an at-risk student with documented learning disabilities who has been embraced by a school community that includes four counselors and a college advisor and who now excels as a school leader and is making college plans. It is about multiple students from varied backgrounds seeking top-notch college education, including an African-American male from an economically-disadvantaged environment who is currently being courted by multiple Ivy League schools. It is about a school family of highly-qualified and Arkansas-certified teachers with a student to teach ratio of 12 to 1 (not the 150 to 1 reported in the editorial), as opposed to the 25 to 1 staff to student ratio of Responsive Education, making use of non-certified facilitators and computers in place of certified teachers.

Not every statement in the editorial is false. Good schools don’t come naturally. They do take good planning, smart leadership, and new initiatives. These characteristics do not, however, include flashy sales videos and extremist discourse. They do not include placing an at-risk student in front of a computer for a shortened school day in a school without a counselor or an adequate number of certified teachers. Good planning is developing the ability to build your own master teachers from within. Something we have done in transitioning to a system that provides sixty hours of teacher-led staff development. Smart leadership is partnering with the Arkansas Leadership Academy, experts in building the capacity for adult learning, effective teaching, shared leadership, and sustainable growth. Something we have done for the past three years. New initiatives do not include filing for multiple waivers to avoid the accountability measures put in place by the State of Arkansas. If charter schools are “ the most promising innovation in public education,” and Responsive Education is the best current candidate among them, then the editorial is suggesting that the greatest “new initiative” available is simply placing a student in front of a computer for four hours a day.

We recognize the challenges within the public school system. We see more than anyone the struggles of adapting to the needs of learners in a rapidly changing world. We welcome questions. We welcome criticism. But what we welcome more than anything is you. Any of you. Anybody wondering about the true reality of our school does not need to accept the fictionalized accounts and offensive analogies of an uninformed journalist. Our doors are open. We do not make any claims of perfection, but we readily encourage visitors to see what we are actually doing to educate our students. We hope that is encouragement enough.

Published: 11/23/2011

--
Wayne Beck (Web Master)
If you no longer want to receive these Hogalumni Newsletters.