[hipl-dev] Re: HIPL conforming to OpenSSL licensing terms?

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:38:17 +0200

Hi,

On 01/11/10 14:12, Stefan Götz wrote:
Hi!

HIPL uses the OpenSSL toolkit which is covered by a mix of the Apache 1.1
license and a custom license. It has the usual requirements on copyright notices
and disclaimers being present in derived work, but I could not find any of that
in any part of HIPL.

Also, the the GPLv2 license is incompatible at least with the Apache 1.1
license.

I'm not sure what the implications of this situation are but it might scare off
potential users of HIPL.

we had a volunteer to rework the GPL code, but I haven't heard anything from him for a long time. Anyway, this is what I told him:

The following directories contain code imported from other projects
and have their own licensing conditions:

* firewall/user_ipsec_esp.c (we should add a --disable option to prevent linkin of this?)
  * tools/hipdnsproxy/DNS
  * lib/tool

The most critical part is the last one, lib/tool because it taints hipd. I'll list each of the files separately:

checksum.c:
  * contains five checksum functions
  * their origins should be double checked (most of them are from kernel)
  * one the checksum functions is probably borrowed from OpenHIP (GPL)

lutil.c:
  * string parsing (probably available in some other library)
  * linked lists from libinet6 (replace with other linked lists of HIPL)

nlink.c:
  * origin: ip route (ip route add/del xx)
* easiest replace operation is to use pfkey or ip tool from the command line

pk.c:
  * at least bn2bin_safe() was borrowed from OpenHIP
  * need to check other functions if they match OpenHIP

xfrmapi.c:
  * origin: ip xfrm xx
  * easiest replace operation as with nlink.c