Yes, it looks nice right now but. . .

  • From: "Ron Ogden" <rogden2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:35:42 -0400

. . .this is the forecast for 5 p.m.

FM202100 24012G26KT P6SM -SHRA SCT025 BKN035

Now, all you folks planning on taking your knowledge tests this spring can
read that, right?

"From the 20th at 2100 GMT (today at 5pm), winds from 240 degrees at 12
knots gusts to 26 knots, visibility greater than six miles in light rain
showers, sky conditions scattered clouds at 2,500' AGL (which means about
1700 feet above HHSC) and a broken layer of clouds at 3,500 feet AGL"

So we would be VFR-although in my experience cloud layers immediately behind
a cold front tend lower than forecast. It is the wind that is the problem.
240 degree is just about across our runway. Twelve knots is flyable; 26
knots gusts in a 2-33 is dangerous, IMHO.

Maybe tomorrow and if not then Friday, R